Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sleep patterns

We've always had to fight with Titus to get him to sleep...last night was no exception! He had only taken three 30 min. naps during the day so I was sure he would be tired by night. Which he was, but he refused to fall asleep on his own. He falls asleep eating or in the car, otherwise it is next to impossible to get him to nap or to bed. He also had us tricked because at 4 weeks he started to sleep through the night, but it only lasted a week or so. Now at 3 mo. he is getting up 2-3 times each night. I thought that maybe by feeding him larger amounts in a bottle he would get enough during the day and not need to eat at night. I started this yesterday...it didn't make any difference at all. I know "they" say that breast milk goes right through babies and formula is more likely to fill them for longer. I was still giving him breast milk, just in larger amounts in the bottle. I really don't want to switch to formula at this point. I don't think it would make much of a difference since I think I am more fighting his habits than his hunger! So...I guess it is time to start letting him "fuss it out." Which to him is more "scream it out!" These pictures are of him at 10:00 last night. His eyes were red and tired, but he was still laughing and "talking."

Then I finally gave in and nursed him until he fell asleep...and woke up an hour later.

2 comments:

  1. He is starting to have such the littler personality... He is SOOO cute in his little brown p.j.'s. I also love how you set him up to look at his stuffed animal!! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once heard about a woman who knew that her children were just waking up in the middle of the night out of habit so she would give them water instead of milk and eventually they stopped getting up because it wasn't worth it...

    With Grayson I started feeding him more, more often, during the day. I would nurse him then give him a bottle until he wouldn't eat any more, every 3 hours. When he would go to bed (because it was before me) I would nurse him, and then right before I went to bed I'd give him a HUGE bottle of formula - He went from being up 3-4 times a night to him sleeping from 9pm -6am and its getting longer and longer now.. Its great!!!

    Hopefully something will work soon- we are praying for you - we totally understand how much it stinks to be up multiple times a night... :)

    ReplyDelete