Friday, September 24, 2010

Love...and Exhaustion

The first two weeks of having Quincy home were a complete tease. I was in a state of bliss. Quincy slept all day long. Titus was still able to have time with me. I felt good, happy, content. Oh how things have changed. I am exhausted. Life has become a balancing act. I feel like I'm on the losing end.

Quincy has stopped being the most wonderful baby that I bragged to everyone about...although he does still sleep a lot during the day, he has been fussy in the evenings and doesn't go right back to sleep after midnight feedings. But, of course, I'm still madly in love with him.

Meanwhile,
Titus is not so fond of having him around all the time anymore.

Some of Titus' recent shenanigans-
"Shenanigans"- Secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering, Silly or high-spirited behavior; mischief.

One of the first days I was alone with the boys, thinking I could actually get something done, I went to throw in a load of laundry. I came back in the room and found Quincy with a Tootsie Roll paper stuck between his little lips. He was still asleep and the wrapper was just sticking up perfectly straight.

When he found me lying on his big hedgehog, completely exhausted-
"Aww, Mommy what's the matter? What's the matter for you?"

Poking Quincy with the thermometer-
"I'm going to pinch him."

Rubbing Quincy on the head-
"Little cutie."

Rubbing his chin on Quincy's head-
"I'm going to get him with my beard."

I was alone again on Saturday morning when Steve was at the school. Titus dumped Quincy out of his bouncy seat. Once again I left the room to do laundry. I heard Quincy fuss a bit and when I came back in the room I found Quincy lying on the floor and Titus in the bouncy seat.

Later that morning I took the boys outside, Quincy was again in the bouncy seat. Titus poured water from the watering can onto Quincy's legs.

Titus-
"Achoo (fake sneeze), I sneeze baby brother away."

Titus asked me to lay Quincy down on his dog pillow, it's "for two boys" he told me.

Whenever I go to take a picture of the baby, Titus runs over to be in the picture too. I was taking this picture because I knew I had one just like it taken the day we brought Titus home from the hospital-

(Titus)-

Titus will go to Quincy and hug him several times a day saying, "I sorry baby brother." I guess he's apologizing in advance for all the tormenting that is yet to come. :) I finally realized he says it because he hears me tell Quincy "sorry" when I notice he's in discomfort or when I'm changing his diaper and he protests with crying.

We're praying that Titus' love for his brother grows once Quincy is old enough to play with him. :)

Potty Training

For everyone who told me I was crazy to potty train so close to the birth of the second baby...I hate to admit it, but you might have been right. Titus wasn't fully trained when Quincy was born and has started having even more accidents lately. It's been hard to figure out what to do. Steve and I decided we'd prefer to just go back to diapers all together an try again in a few months. Titus wasn't going for it though. He doesn't want to wear diapers and will actually keep them dry...but still pee in the underwear. Ugh, I never knew potty training was such a huge chore.

Steve has been doing a wonderful job of spending extra time with Titus. They've been going to the park often, getting Titus out of the house since I haven't been taking both boys out much. Last week while at the playground they found these little shin guards. Steve said Titus spent 4o minutes kicking the soccer ball into the net. He came home just beaming wearing his "new" shin guards. He wore them all evening and during dinner.

Getting washed up after playing hard. We're letting his hair grow out again for his fall/winter look. :) I'm excited to see him with curls again.

1 comment:

  1. I must say you have some cute little men ;-) I can't get over how big Titus looks in the pic with him sitting at the table...
    Nadia has had us on our toes with Ian too...can't leave her alone in the same room with him, although I must say she has gotten a lot better lately but I still won't chance it ;-)

    ReplyDelete