Going back to my journaling, here is some of what I was discovering and processing-
In the meantime…
Watching Calvary Chapel online service. Song that stood out to me.-
Take my life and let it be all for you and for your glory
Take my life and let it be yours
Take my life and let it be all for you and for your glory
Take my life and let it be yours
Feb. 28th - Browsing the Calvary Chapel Ft. Lauderdale website, reading pastors testimonies. Some that stood out to me…
Testimony from Topher Harrison (youth pastor @ Calvary, friend of Steve’s) found on the Calvary Chapel website-
How did God move you to Florida?
My wife, Anya, was a senior at Moody, and she asked me if I thought that she could be a high school Bible teacher. I told her that with her Greek/Hebrew major and her love for the Word of God, she would make a wonderful Bible teacher. When she asked if she could do it in Fort Lauderdale, I told her no. David Salvatelli and Rob Lofthouse had come to Moody looking for a Bible teacher for CCA, and Anya was interested. She replied that her job was to submit to me and mine was to submit to God, so we started praying. We agreed to vacation here, and just fell in love with the church.
You came to Florida for a job interview for Anya. When did you know that God had a position for you as well?
After trusting that God had our lives in His hands, I was fine with coming to South Florida for Anya. I figured that even if I couldn’t get a job at a local church, I could work construction and volunteer with the youth group at Calvary. When we went out to dinner with some of the leadership, I was asked to teach a Bible class. I thought I had misunderstood and that they were asking Anya to teach the class, but the next day with only half an hour preparation, I found myself in front of the freshman Bible class teaching them for an hour and a half. Afterwards, Pastor Doug approached me and told me that it was apparent that teaching was one of my gifts. Two hours later, Pastor Mark offered Anya a job at CCA, and I was offered a job as Ministry Assistant in the Youth Department and was asked to teach some Bible classes.
From the testimony of Stephan Tchividjian (oldest grandson of Billy Graham, one of the pastors at Calvary)-
What’s the greatest thing your father ever did?
In his 20s, he left the security of his father’s business and went back to school. It took him ten years to complete his doctorate, and he was the age I am now when he finished. I’m from a family of seven, and I realize that it couldn’t have been easy, but he pursued his dream.
Pastor Chet Lowe-
What experiences or influences have made you the man who you are today?
My wife! (laughing) My wife and my children. Of all the adventures I’ve gone on . . . I mean, we’ve taken our kids into war! When my kids ask me when they grow up, “Why did you risk our lives?” my answer will be “I was under orders.” I feel that if Christ is my commander, then any experience I go through, it’s for my wife and kids’ benefit as well. With every move that we’ve made, and we’ve made several, with every direction that we’ve taken, my children have become more and more that Christ-like person that they are to become
Worship pastor, Clay Hecocks-
Knowing that you actually enjoyed the Michigan winters, how did you ever get to Fort Lauderdale?It wasn’t my decision. I was totally content where I was. I had a Christian band that was experiencing quite a bit of success, I owned a very successful woodworking business with five employees, and I was serving as the band director at my church. Pastor Bob had asked me to come down in the middle of July. I had no desire to move here, but I felt like God clearly said to me, I don’t need you here, but this is where I want you. Now this is where we want to be. It’s a great transition when where you are supposed to be becomes the place where you want to be, and we’re here for the duration.
Pastor Greg Anderson-
After Pastor Bob extended that invitation to be part of our pastoral staff and God confirmed that call, how did He lead you to your next step?It was very much a “letting go.” It was a letting go of everything I had found some security in. I said goodbye to my parents, my home, my dog, my cat, all my friends, and the church family that I love very much. It was an exercise of faith. It was about packing up the family and saying, “We’re on a spiritual adventure and God is leading us south. We’re going to step out in faith.”
Philippians 1:6 (NKJV) . . . being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ .
Mar. 2nd - Titus playing with his cars and I asked him where they are going. He usually says the park. This morning he said, “they are going someplace so daddy and I can’t be cold.” :)
Wednesday, March 9th - Last night Steve had another phone conversation with Aaron Mills. Just trying to get some clarity on a few things. After the call Steve and I talked. I felt more confident that we are to return to Florida but ended up criticizing Steve and being very disrespectful in my attitude about it all. Looking back now, I know it came from fear. It’s scary to think of giving up all this security, being here with family, and becoming fully devoted to God…and to Steve. I am starting to feel a real peace about us going…but there is still a sadness about leaving here as well.
The two weeks had come and gone and we still hadn't made a decision. I am really trying to leave it more to Steve to make this time around. I know that I pushed my opinions too much the last time and I don't want to do that again. I know that Steve is taking this very seriously and is desiring to do what is best for all of us.
March 31st - I underlined this a few days ago, but it was re-reading it tonight that made me say “wow“ out loud. "Intentional mothers break free from a fear-based lifestyle because they choose to live in faith. They embrace a sense of purpose and anticipation of God's blessings in their children's lives. While they recognize the challenges that lie ahead, they see them not as obstacles to be controlled but as opportunities to see God work."
“Mothers who embrace their faith truly sense that God is bigger than anything their children will encounter.”
One of my fears about returning is raising the boys in such an immodest area. Steve e mailed some of his former students from CCA about this very issue and the affect that it has on them. They all said it's a huge struggle. Beautiful people wearing very little clothing. One student said at the end,
It's hard down here man. But the best part is that no matter where u are u can overcome because of the redeeming power of Jesus Christ. Love it.
The school has been great with not pressuring us to make a decision.
April 1st - I kept saying/feeling like I need one more snow. I love the snow. Watching it fall. It feels magical how it transforms things. I woke up this morning to a coating on the ground and huge flakes falling from the sky. On the day we decided we would make our decision. But still, Steve didn't feel confident yet. So we keep praying.
Later that night, reading a blog that I follow I was reminded that it’s God’s approval we’re to seek. I have so many fears about what people’s reactions will be, about how to explain to people why we’re considering a move back. In the end, that doesn’t matter. If we feel we are pleasing God…that’s all we need.
Still reading that blog, the writer posted this verse…
“Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, Your faithfulness to the skies…” (Psalm 36:5)
Throughout this “journey” for us I keep thinking of this verse as our family verse…
“being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6)
I just keep feeling like this is our second chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment